The two groups we place with hosts are as below:
Our scheme operates entirely on the goodwill and generosity of our hosts. Hosts are members of the public, living in normal domestic housing, who have a strong desire to offer their spare room to someone in need. They have been trained and vetted by Hope at Home but do not have specialist knowledge of the issues facing our guests. Some may also have children in their homes.
For these reasons it is not possible for us to accept all referrals. It is vital that we do not knowingly put hosts or their household members at risk. Therefore, please ensure you complete as much detail as possible on the referral form as this forms part of our safeguarding and risk assessment processes.
- Hosting Referral hours are Monday – Friday 9am – 3pm. We are able to receive a referral within these hours. Out of hours referrals will be picked up the following working day. As this person is going to stay in a family home with volunteer hosts, please complete the form with as much information as possible.
- We aim to reply to referrals within 72 hours of receipt.
- It always takes a few days to process a referral, gather adequate details of the person referred and find the most appropriate host. Therefore, we are unable to consider emergency referrals.
- Referral form to be submitted online.
- Assessment will be made by staff member and once an available host is found or we determine that none are currently available, referrers will be informed. Please be aware that places are not allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis or whether they appear to have the greatest need. Compatibility with the hosts available is also a major criterion and hosts always have the right to refuse a potential referral.
- Hope at Home staff will have a zoom interview with the client to ensure they understand the hosting scheme, are consenting to it and to provide the opportunity for them to ask questions.
- Once the zoom interview is complete and if we feel we are able to place the person, we will send host details to referrer and the client can make a decision on whether to pursue the placement. We can also arrange a zoom call with hosts if required.
- We are not able to offer permanent accommodation to guests. Hosts have the right to terminate a placement at any time, although they are encouraged to give as much notice as possible. We cannot guarantee finding alternative accommodation for a guest whose placement comes to an end.
- Any discussion about referrals or the service, please contact Sarah Sidwell 07512 316 862 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note we reserve the right to decline a referral if it is deemed by ourselves to be a risk to either the hosts or guests.
Provision of Support
Hope at Home facilitates living arrangements by recruiting, supporting and training hosts. Hosts are also expected to have their own network of support.
We do not expect hosts to offer professional support or advocacy for their guests and so we work alongside other agencies who are able to offer this, coupling safe accommodation along with expert and well trained support for the guest.
The role of the host is one of practical support such as basic life-skills and encouragement to access other services. Hosts are trained to signpost to other services if necessary.
We are able to provide hosting placements whether or not the individual has access to public funds.
If the guest is unable to claim any benefits or work in the UK, the hosts will be able to claim up to £50 per week for associated expenses e.g. travel costs and toiletries for the guest, extra groceries or heating bills.
Please email referrals to email@example.com.
As the referrer, please fill in the Referral Form as accurately and honestly as you possibly can. Please do not ask your client to complete the form. Our hosts are welcoming strangers into their homes and will need as much detail as possible in order to undertake this voluntary arrangement.
Please note we are not an emergency accommodation service and aim to reply to referrals within 72 hours. If you have a specific time limit, please make this clear on the referral form.